When I looked at myself in the mirror the other day wearing this outfit, I was reminded of my brief stint at Victoria’s Secret. It was the holiday season senior year of college and I had the bright idea of finding a part-time job at the local mall. I can’t say how I went with the choice of selling lingerie. The motivation might have been inspired by my growing collection of cotton VS undies. Or I was intrigued by the fact that VS sales associates all wore fancy black suits while American Eagle counterparts were adorned in ripped jeans and graphic tees (another favorite of mine back in the day that came as a close, second contender). I took the job interview seriously and got all dolled up for the interview, nervous that I wouldn’t meet the “cute” criteria and get the part. While landing the gig, I was also instructed to come back ready to work in fancy black pants and jacket. So I had to spend more money for my newly minimum-paying job. The irony of it all fascinates me. Maybe I should have gone to AE after all. The dress code required that 90% of my outfit had to be black, so I could only experiment with color via tops. Perhaps inspired by the tissue paper and store displays, I had the tendency of devoting that remaining 10% to the color pink. The creative juices were overflowing back then :) Thankfully the job only lasted for a couple of months (found out that the job was not nearly as exciting or glamorous as I’d dreamed it up to be) and I went out with more lingerie than I had use (and creativity!) for and a greater desire to never work in a mall setting again*. Since then, everytime I see these two colors paired together I’m often taken back to pink measurement tapes and bra cup sizes, horay!
*I know what you may be thinking, but the current situation is completely different :)